Tuesday, December 30, 2008

The Novel

“There are various ways to overcome fear, Alexander. None works,” she replied. City of the Beasts by Isabel Allende.

Until now, writing a novel had just been a dream, and dreaming is very pleasant as long as you are not forced to put your dreams into practice. That way, we avoid all risks, frustrations and difficulties, and when we are old, we can always blame other people for our failure to realize our dreams.

My troubles started a few days ago when I committed myself to start the writing of my novel on New Year’s Eve. Since then I have felt so terrified by the fact that I actually must start it that I have been suffering from insomnia for the very first time in my life. I have that knot in my stomach as if I will be sick any minute now. But I will do it. At midnight I will be sitting in front of my computer. I will even drop you a line on Twitter. Now, let’s just hope it will not be on that night that I’ll suffer my first writer’s block.