Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Blender

It’s a rare occurrence for me to take the bus home after work; I usually carpool with a friend. However, that night he had other commitments. The timing was bad. Earlier that day, a package had been delivered for me at work, an awesome stainless steel blender bought on my Air Miles points. It was a beauty, a fifteen pounds beauty which I had to take with me on the bus. This wouldn’t have been so bad if I was not wearing excruciating new heels which by then, we slicing my little toes in half. The bus arrived quickly, but as could be expected, it was jam-packed. I hustled my way towards the back of the bus and held on the best I could to a pole. The box was so large that I couldn’t carry it under one arm, two were necessary to hold it and I could not very well put it on the floor as the bus was very crowded and I was standing by the exit. The bus driver was not particularly smooth either jerking people in every direction, every time the bus abruptly departed or stopped. Mercifully, I didn’t have far to go. Half way through the ride, a big guy who had been sitting nearby suddenly came to life. “Wow, this box looks really heavy.” Need we state the obvious?
“Yes it is.”
“If you want, you can put it on my lap. I’ll hold it for you.”
“Gee, thanks. I think I’ll be fine.”