Tuesday, March 31, 2009

It Must Have Been Karma...

But it’s over now. Last weekend I was strolling along the beach, enjoying the fine weather when someone started waving in my peripheral vision and calling my name. It was him. I couldn’t suppress a rolling of the eyes.

“Oh! I knew that soon or later I would come face to face with you. Only I had hoped it would be much later.” He apparently didn’t grasp the contempt in my voice for he carried on all smiles and enthusiasm.

“How have you been? It’s so nice to see you, you look fabulous”

As fast as my mind works, I couldn’t come up with an insult based on so little information “Hum… thanks.”

“Do you have five minutes so we could sit down and chat?”

“Not really. Five minutes is asking much from me.”

“Please…” Sigh.

“What the heck.” We walked to a log on the beach. I sat a good yard away from him. At once he started creeping into my personal space, missing the point entirely.

“I just wanted to tell you how much I miss you and how fabulous it was to have you in my life. It could have been so different, could still? I have such fond memories of you, of us. You’re an amazing woman.”

“We are so utterly disparate once again. Unfortunately, my last impression of you is one of a man without principle, a liar and a cheat.”

“You don’t understand. Things are different now, I’m different, I’ve changed.”

“Really. Let me guess… you realized how stupid you were with me and you’ll never do it again.”

“I said I was sorry. Doesn’t it count for something?”

“No.” Although he tried hard to control himself, he lost patience, got up, wished me all the best, and left. I’ll tell you that, he’s got a way about swift leaves…

I doubt I’ll hear from him again, there is something terribly wounding about looking into the sunglasses of a loved one and see but your own begging eyes looking back at you.