Friday, February 20, 2009

Manmade Misery

The other day I was at Old Navy. I had found a bunch of fun clothes for Billy, Marco’s daughter, my elected niece. I was in the line up, waiting for a cashier to free up. Nearest to me, there was a woman who had been monopolizing the cashier for what it seemed like forever. Out of curiosity, I started listening in on their exchange. Her purchase amounted to something like $42.50. It turned out that the process was taking a long time because of insufficient funds on her credit card. It is so humiliating when that happens. The one time it happened to me, I ran out the store, mortified. But it wasn’t the case here; the young woman wasn’t the least fazed by it. Actually, after her card was denied, she produced another one, and another one, and another one until finally one got approved. She must have gone through fifteen credit cards. In her hands, she literally had a deck of credit cards ready to be tested for funds. I was stunned. Can you imagine the burden, not to mention the anguish she must be facing every month when the statements start coming in. Then again…